Tel. 604.853.6096
Fax. 604.853.8749

Unit A10-33733 King Rd,
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
V2S 7M9
BD-Power Forums | WELCOME TO OUR CLUB! >> Ram Cummins >> Engine Performance
FAQ Members List Search Mark Forums Read

How much HP with BD Tow Twins

BD crew, I have the BD Tow twins and wanted to know what HP can I get out of them? Is 600 to 650 a good range? What have you seen out of them before they start to breakdown? I would like to know because this will determine if I upgrade to the race twins.

tw, I would have to say 600-650 on fuel only would be a touch on the high side for the tow twins. Optimal performance would be more like 500-550, this will be determined by your fueling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tierwalker View Post
BD crew, I have the BD Tow twins and wanted to know what HP can I get out of them? Is 600 to 650 a good range? What have you seen out of them before they start to breakdown? I would like to know because this will determine if I upgrade to the race twins.

I agree with those mods you may want to look at something bigger like the BD R700 twin kit. What are you using the truck for?

Congrats at dyno days onetun I never got to make it out to the dyno to see your run or even shake your hand, good job!

Planning on a three-peat for the fall... ?
BD Max Flow Lift Pump

Toll Free 800-887-5030 ext 105 Dave
www.dieselperformance.com
dave@bd-power.com

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I use the truck as my every day drive. I do tow with it. I tow a 30' trailer and a flat bed car carrier loaded with qauds or my 70 Cuda Hemi to the track. Some mountain towing to Tahoe. I plan on installing a set of springs and 105 injectors in a couple of weeks. I am turning 550 on the dyno. What direction should I go? I love the tow twins and the streetable drivability. Would I loose any of that with thw Race twins or can I stay with my set up?

Thanks Dave,

Fall will be low key, I owe some time and energy to my family for their support. I will be there for a good time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave@BD View Post
I agree with those mods you may want to look at something bigger like the BD R700 twin kit. What are you using the truck for?

Congrats at dyno days onetun I never got to make it out to the dyno to see your run or even shake your hand, good job!

Planning on a three-peat for the fall... ?

tierwalker,

I ran the BD towing twins at a bit over 720hp
It's not the turbos you have to worry about it's the egt's.

At 720hp I could hit 1600 degrees in seconds not to mention that water/meth was no help at all.
At 625-650hp I never got above 1350 degrees (no water/meth), but I had to crank down the wastegate and allow 65psi to keep the egt's down.

The R-700 runs a lot smoother than the towing primary and for some reason the motor seems to breath much better (it feels more rev happy).
The R-700 also loses much of the turbo noise and loses almost zero drivability at your hp level.

For what you are doing I would go with the R-700....Unless you want to become a member of the stupid club!

Nice work Rob!
I still can't believe you hooked up that much power!

Did you get best truck as well (you got my vote!)?

'09 3500 QC longbox STOCK (for now)

Before I had my chance to throw in my 2 cents, Smokin07 pretty much said it all. Your EGT's will dictate if you need to upgrade further.
For what you are running, you'll likely be just fine running even up 600 RWHP (700 RWHP w/ NOS) with the tow twins, but if you're like most people that are always looking for additional potential, then upgrading to the R700 should be a serious consideration. There will be a bit more lag with the R700, but with an automatic, it won't be all that noticeable.

So, Rob, what did you do to your truck to make a 160 HP jump over the fall run???
1993 GMC K2500 6.5 T.D. VIN 'F', 4L80E, 4:10
AFE cold air intake, 3" exhaust w/ downpipe, 241k miles and still running strong.
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician w/ Advanced Levels Auto Engine Performance & Electronic Diesel Diagnosis
Now currently out of the auto repair trade and into ammunition manufacturing !

Last edited by DieselDude : 04-10-2008 at 05:39.

tierwalker,

I had a look at your setup and I might consider some upgraded valve springs....Cheap insurance!

Do you have studs?

How much boost are you making?

'09 3500 QC longbox STOCK (for now)

Last edited by Smokin07 : 04-10-2008 at 10:40.

What we found with the R700 is that they tow even better than we expected them to. They have awesome throttle response and can flow a huge amount of air. I used towed with them on our 2006 with 8,000lbs and you hardly knew you had a load on. The R700 would be exactly what you are looking for.
pat@bd-power.com

2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. Edge Juice CTS, Volant Air intake and 4" exhaust.

1993 VW Jetta 1.9l TD. Pump Modified 2.5 exhaust, cold air intake. 160hp

Installing springs in a week or two and yes its studded. I can peg my 60psi gauge. Whats the cost for the upgrade to the Race twins and how much do I sale the turbo I replace. Am I replacing the Super b?

Saturday was a day for all to lay it out. No excuses just full guns get it on.
As far as I'm concerned traction was not an issue for anyone. And if it was Saturday was the day to load the box and lay down!
I had a good time and was amazed with all the good numbers by you and others.
As for making 720 with the BD twins there life would be short. 625-650 again not recommended. Heck I worked hard to make a good 575 and temps were becoming a concern. Drive pressure will get the best of you if you stretch the ratings on any turbo.
R700 is geared for 700hp, follow that and you will be fine.

Good job Jamie and cheers.
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin07 View Post
tierwalker,

I ran the BD towing twins at a bit over 720hp
It's not the turbos you have to worry about it's the egt's.

At 720hp I could hit 1600 degrees in seconds not to mention that water/meth was no help at all.
At 625-650hp I never got above 1350 degrees (no water/meth), but I had to crank down the wastegate and allow 65psi to keep the egt's down.

The R-700 runs a lot smoother than the towing primary and for some reason the motor seems to breath much better (it feels more rev happy).
The R-700 also loses much of the turbo noise and loses almost zero drivability at your hp level.

For what you are doing I would go with the R-700....Unless you want to become a member of the stupid club!

Nice work Rob!
I still can't believe you hooked up that much power!

Did you get best truck as well (you got my vote!)?

[quote=tierwalker;28581]Installing springs in a week or two and yes its studded. I can peg my 60psi gauge. Whats the cost for the upgrade to the Race twins and how much do I sale the turbo I replace. Am I replacing the Super b?[/QUOTE

The R700 upgrade will still use the Super B. It is the secondary turbo. We add another S400 to complete the kit. I would not hesitate with the power you are making to tow anything with them.
pat@bd-power.com

2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. Edge Juice CTS, Volant Air intake and 4" exhaust.

1993 VW Jetta 1.9l TD. Pump Modified 2.5 exhaust, cold air intake. 160hp
Great numbers

With my setup: last week I dyno'd the truck, only got 406HP and 831 TORQUE on level 5 of the edge comp box.

What am I doing wrong?

EGT's are only 1050, Boost 52.3.

I'm thinking of upgrading my edge comp to the racing comp box, this would help I know. But I did expect at least 500 HP with current setup.

If I goto larger injetors it would smoke at ideal. I don't want smoke.

I have almost the same setup as Tierwalker, and he's only running 50 HP injectors. Of course his is a common rail, but still, I would think my HP would be much higher than 406/831T.

The bottom end is outstanding, nice and strong hardly any torbo lag that is noticeable, to mid range, after mid range to top end my engine is flat. Doesnt seem to want to rev up. I dont think defueling is an issue here.

Thanks for your support.

My appolgizes, if this is in the wrong place, I didnt mean to cut tierwalker off.
One of these days I'll make it up there for Dyon Days, hope everyone had a good time.
Juice/Attitude Hot Unlock (from BD dealer),
BD: X Monitor, and OPTEX; Fuel PSI & Engine oil temp,
BD: Stealth cover,
BD: aux fuel pump/line kit,
BD: T/C, Flex Plate, Performamce Tranny,
BD: X-POWER FLOW INTAKE, Pulse Monifold,
BD: 100HP VP44, TWINS, 130 INJ.
DYNO:
4-5-8: 406/831 level 5, needs work.
6-5-8: 435/837 level 5, still needs work.
6-21-8: 430HP level 5, smarty sw8, SNW.

Im not sure whats going on with your truck but I think the Race tune will help you and a Smarty. I see low 50's psi, then 60psi on water meth and close to 70 stacked with my x-power from BD. Im sure the BD crew will help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lholbrook View Post
With my setup: last week I dyno'd the truck, only got 406HP and 831 TORQUE on level 5 of the edge comp box.

What am I doing wrong?

EGT's are only 1050, Boost 52.3.

I'm thinking of upgrading my edge comp to the racing comp box, this would help I know. But I did expect at least 500 HP with current setup.
You need more fueling !!

Your HP output is still pretty much dependent on the fueling, not the turbos. The turbos only ALLOW you to run more aggressive fueling. The race version of the Edge Comp will help you out on the top end. The standard Comp actually defuels on its own on the top end because it is assumed that most of these are being used with stock turbos, which they are pretty much run outside their efficiency range on the top end and the EGT's are running too high. This is the safety measure built into the Comp. The race version, however, does not have this top-end defueling feature.

You do need more fueling, which means you'll need a good stack. Unfortunately, BD does not offer a tuner for your truck, so I would have to agree with tierwalker, give the Smarty a try .
1993 GMC K2500 6.5 T.D. VIN 'F', 4L80E, 4:10
AFE cold air intake, 3" exhaust w/ downpipe, 241k miles and still running strong.
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician w/ Advanced Levels Auto Engine Performance & Electronic Diesel Diagnosis
Now currently out of the auto repair trade and into ammunition manufacturing !

Tierwalker and DieselDude, thank you for the information. I was kinda thinking that I might just be at the end of my performance with the Edge Comp Box. It has worked very well for me when I had the stock turbo and with the Super B single. Top end went away after we did the install of the BD Twins. I wasnt sure when or if the Edge Comp box would defuel, but that is would it looks like it is doing. I will up grade to the race box and look into the Smarty.

Tierwalker, I know we have never met, but, I read one of your post about this time last year. In a way, you intruduced me to Ken Imlar, he is the one that has done all the work on my truck. Just wanted to take a minute and say thanks.

The same for DieselDude, its hard to fathem how much information that you provide for us in here. Thanks for letting us pick your brain.

Many thanks.
DYNO:

No problem, glad to help. Ken is awsome and always thier for his customers. His only downside is, he is so darn busy. I would say a smarty will greatley up your HP and so will water meth. With those two I will say 500+ is easy for you. Take care and hope to see you at Imlers dyno day, when he has it. Heard it might be in the works

I had great luck with my towing twins. I was well over the 600-650 range, and tow a 13k 5t wheel. We even pulled a 7500lb gooseneck flatbed down to LA to pick up a customer's truck, which we found out was lifted. Loaded it up and pulled back. Trailer was somewhere around 15-16k lbs. Over the grapevine I could maintain 68-70 mph and 1200 on the pyro with 35's!

Drag racing temps were never an issue. I was clicking off mid 12's with 1150 max pyro. When we threw even more fuel at it, pyro still was hesitant to get over 1400 when really trying to push it.

I tried a variety of boost levels all the way up to 74 psi. Going back down to 67-68 I saw no real difference in EGTs, so that shows how efficient they are.

Now, like everyone said, the R700 kit will support more power, and should tow just fine. Your top turbo, or secondary turbo, is the one that affects initial spooling the most. BD has it figured out, and believe me it works!
1989 250 - Laugh now, but soon it will be really FAST!

Thanks guys, this turned out to be a real informational thread.

I plan on contacting Edge Wednesday to get my comp box upgraded to the race version. Will see if that helps. Then look into the Smarty and stacking the smarty with the race comp box, or which ever combination will get me up to 500+ HP.

Good Deeds Don't Go Unoticed.
DYNO:
Update:

I'm glad this thread is still here, my update:

Updated my Edge Comp to Drag Comp, running on 3/3 now as I did when it was the Edge Comp. What a differance, after 2500 rpm's, it still pulls all the way to 3200. Still experimenting.

Also, bought the Smarty. While my Edge comp was out being updated to the Drag comp, I downloaded level 7 from the Smarty. Lots of bottom end toque, felt great. Smarty is very smooth to say the least. Havent tried any other levels yet.

Still playing with the Drag Comp, probably for another week. Then experiment with Smarty. The I will stack both and see what happens after that.

Then head for the rollers to see what combination works well for max HP and Torque.

But for right now, I would say my fueling problems at mid range to top end are almost over with. With the Drag Comp, things really get moving fast, truck feels very strong at this point.

More updates to come.

Thanks.
DYNO: