Tel. 604.853.6096
Fax. 604.853.8749

Unit A10-33733 King Rd,
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
V2S 7M9
BD-Power Forums | WELCOME TO OUR CLUB! >> Ford >> Engine Performance
FAQ Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Question Engine Surge Code P2285

Just got back from a trip up country and now I have a surging problem with my 2003 6.0 litre at idle, poor milage and a engine code P2285 that won't erase. My code book shows that it indicates-Cylinder 9 injector Ciruit Low- however the 6 litre only has 8 cylinders, I run Kleen Flow additive to my fuel and change the oil and fuel filters on a regular basis. Could this be a clogged EGR that needs cleaning or will I have to bring the truck in to the shop for further analysis. It has 190K and I have no tuners on this engine.

Last edited by Belle : 10-21-2007 at 03:34.

P2285 is the Injection Control Pressure (ICP) Sensor circuit low. Basically, it is saying that the there is a circuit problem with the ICP sensor and the PCM is not seeing a return signal from the ICP. Check the ICP sensor for oil leaking from it and check the connector for damaged wiring. Likely, the ICP sensor is at fault.
1993 GMC K2500 6.5 T.D. VIN 'F', 4L80E, 4:10
AFE cold air intake, 3" exhaust w/ downpipe, 241k miles and still running strong.
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician w/ Advanced Levels Auto Engine Performance & Electronic Diesel Diagnosis
Now currently out of the auto repair trade and into ammunition manufacturing !

Thanks, It looks like I have to get the sensor from Ford, the next question is how the heck to you replace this sensor? You can't even see the sensor from the top of the engine as it is located on the back of the block behind the turbocharger. I've read on other forums that you remove it from underneath the engine, do I need any special tools other then a micro-camera and arms 5 feet long with 6 elbows.

Sorry, I can't really answer your question. We don't see very many 6.0L Powerstrokes and I have never had to replace the ICP sensor on one. If you can't see it from the top, then it probably is a good idea to try from underneath and stretching your arms. It might be something you have to do by feel. The sensor will just thread into the oil rail so the only special tools needed will be something you can get onto the sensor. I know this won't make you feel any better, but the later years have the ICP sensor mounted at the front of the engine instead of the rear.
AFE cold air intake, 3" exhaust w/ downpipe, 241k miles and still running strong.
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician w/ Advanced Levels Auto Engine Performance & Electronic Diesel Diagnosis

This will not be an easy job to perform at home.You will need to remove the heat shield at the rear of the engine which covers the senser,once done just unplug the senser and unscrew it and replace with new.there is lots of heat back in this area thourouly check the wiring to senser.this needs to be done from underneath the vehicle .

Not an easy job is an understatement, took a lot of patients, scraped arms and blind wrenching to get it out and replaced. Had to modify an old deep socket to get the sensor out but once done and the heat shield back on the engine stoped the surging and the OBD code could be deleted. Yes this is a job that you can do at home and save some money but man is it ever awkward.

Last edited by Belle : 11-13-2007 at 23:32.

Glad you got your problem fixed without TOO much grief .

04 model and newer the ICP sensor has been moved to the passenger side valve cover.

Also, there is a way to access from above.