Toll Free. 1.800.887.5030
Tel. 604.853.6096
Fax. 604.853.8749

Unit A10-33733 King Rd,
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
V2S 7M9
BD-Power Forums | WELCOME TO OUR CLUB! >> Ram Cummins >> Engine Performance
FAQ Members List Search Mark Forums Read

Unhappy Please Help, My 2001 Dodge Cummins is losing power!!

Hello. I have a 2001 Dodge ram 2500 with cummins diesel & automatic transmission. It is stock for now. It has about 80,000 miles.

About a month ago it started losing power once in a while. Driving along and all of a sudden it wont accelerate, then after a few seconds, it will accelerate just fine. It may happen several times in a short drive. I fired it up yesterday cold and it wouldnt even rev up in neutral. I mashed the throttle and it just came up to maybee 1200 rpm's. The problem seems to be worse when its cold. problem seems very erratic with no pattern. The engine will always idle at a minimum, it never dies.

I replaced the fuel filter but it did not help. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Last edited by RyanL : 08-07-2005 at 21:15.
Smile

Unfortunately this sounds like your VP is dieing. Have you check for any codes?? Turn the key to on three times with out starting the engine. Leave the key on the third time and then watch you odometer. If there are codes they will show up there. You will get two "done" codes when the test is complete. Do not turn the key off after the first one!! You have to wait until the second one is displayed to make sure you get all the codes. Let us know what they are if you get any.

Cheers
Rob

Your Injection Pump is on it's way out of your truck. You can't do anything to save it. Even when you replace it you can't replace it with a better one. Just make sure when you do replace you have a better or second lift pump and something to moniter your fuel pressure. So this never happens again.

Ryan,

What kind of fuel pressure is your truck running? That is going to be the first thing to check. It definately sounds like you are going to have both a lift pump and an injection pump that are going to need replaced. The factory lift pumps have a very high failure rate. What happens then is the injection pump that gets its fuel from the transfer pump begins to fail from lack of lubrication.
pat@bd-power.com

2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. Edge Juice CTS, Volant Air intake and 4" exhaust.

1993 VW Jetta 1.9l TD. Pump Modified 2.5 exhaust, cold air intake. 160hp

Thanks for all the input guys. As for the codes, I checked them and here is what I got.

p pcu
p 0460
p 1693
p done
p done

Then another set of codes comes thru:

P ecu
p 0216
p 1693
p done

Then it returns back to odometer. Any Ideas?? Keep in mind the truck is still running. I have been paying much closer attention to it. driving along at speed, part throttle, then you can feel a slight surge in the truck, then the power is flat, wont accelerate. But if you mash the throttle a few times it will come back to life like normal. This can happen as many as 10 times in a 20 minute drive. Any more thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Well I hate to say it but the P0216 is the kiss of death for your injector pump. As Pat said it is almost guaranteed that the lift pump failed and then the injection pump was not getting the right amount of fuel and died also. Please be seated when you start looking for a rebuilt pump.

I have the complete listing of all the codes for our truck at work and will post a link to them tomorrow since you also have some additional codes to look up.

Cheers
Rob
Talking

There is one sign of hope as I just re-read your first message. Since this is a 2001 it hopefully is still covered under the 5 year 100,000 mile Cummins warranty. Run don't walk to the nearest dealer and get them to fix it because the next thing it will do is leave you stranded along side the road.

Cheers
Rob

Here are the links to codes

http://www.troublecodes.net/chrysler/

Thanks a bunch rdut and others for reply on this. Yes I am hoping it will be covered under warranty because I bought it new in 2002 and it has 83k miles. I talked to another guy that bought his at the same dealer as mine and he got his injector pump warrantied, BUT they bent him over for the lift pump to the tune of $650!!

I havent taken it there to the dealer yet because It still runs (but I havent been driving it) and I dont want them to just try and get away with putting a new lift pump in it and trying to give it back to me. On the other hand, not being sure that they will warranty it makes me think I should put a lift pump in it myself and try that. problem is I am afraid that if I mess with it they will try and say I voided the warranty by messing with it myself. Has anyone else had experiences with the warranty on these pumps??? Any suggestions on dealing with the dealer??

Ryan,

Did you check the pressure after I talked to you? What was it?
pat@bd-power.com

2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. Edge Juice CTS, Volant Air intake and 4" exhaust.

1993 VW Jetta 1.9l TD. Pump Modified 2.5 exhaust, cold air intake. 160hp

Hello Pat. thanks for the reply. Yes i checked the pressure on the lift pump and injector pump. When I first fired it up with guage on the lift pump, it was at 10 or so. then after a few seconds it dropped to 1 or 2 psi and did not go back up. then I put the guage on the injector pump and it was the same- 1 or 2 psi. But still idling fine and not really smoking out the tailpipe. ??

I am guessing this is maybee whats happening while I am driving down the road....the pressure drops and I lose power, then it comes back and it runs fine. any more thoughts? I am very interested to hear some warranty information too. thanks.

Lift pump is about an $80 dollar item. Go to the dealer, don't touch anything on the truck. If dealer won't warranty lift pump but will injector pump, tell them thanks and go to another dealer that will do both pumps. If your truck is stock you won't have any problems. $650 for a lift pump should be a crime!!

KEEP ON TRUCKIN'
Lonestar
1998 2500 Built auto, 100plate, 3kgsk 5"exhaust

The old style lift pump that is on your truck now has been replaced with the new 05 style that goes in your tank. These are suppose to last longer but no one knows for sure. This is why the cost is so high now.

The good news is that this conversion is covered under the same warranty as the injector pump. I just had mine replaced two weeks ago on my 2001 and it was covered. If I was you, I would call a different dealer and ask them if the lift pump is covered. This is what I did. The first dealer said it was not covered then I called one that does alot of diesels and they said yes it is when do I want to bring it in. Who do you think I'm going to call from now on??

Cheers
Rob

Good News!! I just got my truck back from dealer and they replaced lift pump with upgraded in tank model and new injector pump. Took a while though. the first time i picked it up with the lift pump only replaced, I drove it out of the parking lot 100 yards and it lost power just like before and belched out white smoke. So I took it right back in there 2 minutes later and then they replaced the injector pump. So I am back on the road. Thanks guys for all the help.

Glad to hear you got everything taken care of.

KEEP ON TRUCKIN'
Lonestar

Quote:
Originally posted by RyanL
About a month ago it started losing power once in a while. ... all of a sudden it wont accelerate, then after a few seconds, it will accelerate just fine. It may happen several times in a short drive.... The engine will always idle...
I replaced the fuel filter but it did not help. ...

I have the same problem with my 2002. I pulled the codes as reccommended. (thanks for the info)
I found:
PCU
1693 = DTC detected in ECU.
ECU
230 = Transfer pump circuit out of range. ( I have it unplugged )
216 = FIP timing failure

I spoke with Craig on the phone today and he said to clear the codes, see if they come back and monitor fuel pressure ( I have a gauge). I would like to find info here on how to replace the IP myself and order one from BD.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Renntag : 09-12-2005 at 19:04.

Unless you have over 100,000 miles your pump should be covered under warranty

Cheers
Rob

truck has 160K
1st pump replaced 1/04 at 94K
dealer said 12 month xK mile warranty. Well at this point, I am out of the 12 month part. Is it possible it might still be covered? ...by some strange interpretation? or miracle?

Just go in there and act stupid, It might happen, but don't count on it

KEEP ON TRUCKIN'
Lonestar

Quote:
Originally posted by Lonestar
Just ... act stupid...
That, I can handle.